Stemma Palazzo Ducale

Menù

Ducal Palace in Castiglione del Lago

The Palace

The Palace of the Della Corgna family was built starting in 1563, in consequence of Ascanio 's acquisition of the title of marquis of Castiglione. Conceived as a small royal palace, it was completely isolated from the rest ofthe village and afterwards completed by luxuriant gardens - praised by men of letters and poets - which are unfortunately no longer extant. The original nucleus was made up of one or two habitable towers from the 13th century, then transformed at the beginning of the l6th century into a bunting lodge by the Baglioni family. Gianpaolo, the most famous member of this family, who fell out of favour with Pope Leone X, spent the last years of his life here because it was oniy in this castle that he felt secure. At the beginning of the century the Palace gave hospitality to important figures like Niccolo Macchiavelli and Leonardo Da Vinci. The design of the Palace has been ascribed both to Vignola and to Alessi: it is possible tbat they worked on it together. Built on four floors, in the basement tbere were kitchens and stores, at ground level cellars and stables, then the living quarters and upstairs bedrooms and servants' quarters.

Palace of the Dukes della Corgna

The piano nobile, today the first stage of a visit to the museum, is divided into three main parts: the central one (entrance and three balls) and the eastem one (five rooms) are all frescoed, whereas the western one, with three rooms which were probably for servants, has white walls. A third, northern, hall was used as a theatre with a stage and a gallery and it was in use until after 1920 when it was demolished. After the death of Fulvio Della Corgna many tenants lived in the Palace and stole precious furniture and objects. In 1824 it was destroyed by a fire and in 1870 was bought by the Comune for the sum of Lit 47.710. All tbat remains of the sumptuous interior furnishings are 24 chairs. At the beginning of the century the entrance stairway with a handrail with small columns was replaced by a brick-paved double flight.

Grottesca

  • Hall of Ascanio della Corgna's deeds
  • The walkway
  • Ascanio della Corgna
  • The Aeneid room